Sunday, October 24, 2010

Beyond Soap Making: Know Your Limits

Yes, that is me perched atop a tire swing at a local playground. So what would a slightly overweight, middle-aged women be doing on a tire swing? Good question! It was all about not knowing my limits. It was my two-year grandson, Fischer, that put the pressure on. I love him, but as a two-year old he has no concept of his NeeNee's age and lack of flexibility. All he wanted to do was spin NeeNee around in the tire just like he had done. In a moment of weakness, I took leave of my senses and accepted the challenge. I am not joking when I say this... it took me nearly 5 minutes just to get on the dang thing. My feet and legs were dangling in all the wrong places. As my husband said, "You looked like a fish out of water." It took another 10 minutes to figure out how to get off of the tire. It wasn't a pretty sight and sadly there are photos to prove it (which I shall not post!) At one point, I actually stood in the center of the tire and asked my husband and son-in-law to lift the tire over my head to release me from the tire monster. I failed to realize that the tire weighed nearly 50-lbs and and coupled with its awkwardness my request was denied.

I share this with you because it was a reminder of how we need to know our limits. We don't need to prove anything to anyone. In running a business, it is critical to know what we can and cannot do. What comes easy to others, may not come easy to us. Know your strengths and weaknesses. You don't have to accept every challenge. I promise that when you focus on your strengths, any weaknesses will become shadows. You should always take time to look at your shadow side. If you don't, you may plunge head first (or feet first in the case of my tire swing episode) into a situation or business decision that only sets you up for failure.

Hope you have a happy Sunday. I'm off to a Halloween event with the grand kids this afternoon which involves no playground equipment :=). But first, I will be heading to church for some spiritual inspiration. I believe the sermon this week is titled, "Though shalt not ride on tire swings".

1 comment:

Power Of Three Creations said...

Ohhh I loved this one!!! At 55, my new daughter (adoption finalized 10/13/10 after 2 years of waiting) has me exercising to The Wiggles... My doc and my heart love it.... LOL
Brightest Blessings to you and yours and BTW your blog gives me smiles even when I dont wanna!!
Jan Pace
Power Of Three Creations
Fallbrook, CA