Tuesday, April 20, 2010

And Why Did I Take a Vacation??

My honey-man and I took an extended weekend vacation to the Florida last week. We left on Wednesay afternoon and returned Sunday. The weather was sunny, warm and the blue skies and ocean made me forget about work. It was a much earned and deserved retreat.

AND THEN comes Monday. As I walked into the office my first words were, "Why did I take a vacation?". I spent the entire 2 1/2 hour return flight responding to emails, yet I was still buried alive in work on Monday morning. It was easily a 16 hour day. Today wasn't any better. I started the day on 5 hours of sleep, and it was evident from the get-go that this was going to be a day that Murphy's law reigned. Our server went down, UPS software went on it's own vacation and crashed, a warehouse shelf lost a wheel and sent hundreds of molds flying from here to kingdom come (oh, and the list could go on!) and here it is after 11 PM and I'm still at it. There's definitely something wrong with this scenario.

I have incredible staff who took charge while I was away, but there are many things requiring my attention; they can't be delegated. Sadly, there were no little fairies or elves that worked through the night taking care of business. So, the infamous words we all seem to speak after taking time off from work

"And, why did I take a vacation?"

1 comment:

Denny1600 said...

I can totally relate! That's usually how it goes when we take a few days off. This trip we came home to bees trying to decide if they wanted to hang out under our eaves. It seems they've decided that this is not the place, but we called the bee man anyway, just to be sure.

Your mind and body always need a break once in a while. And you and your man needed some time together.

And . . . when we got home, Elizabeth (my imaginary housekeeper) still hadn't cleaned the house while we were gone. Sigh . . . Hang in there! It will get better!