Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunday: A Time of Worship & Reflection

I always look forward to my Sunday mornings. It's my personal time to regroup from a hectic work week and enjoy time with family. It's also a day of worship and self-reflection. Each of us refeul differently and attending my local church is the best refueling station for me. It feeds my spiritual side, encourages, inspires, and allows me to focus on life's greater picture. It's a day to look back on the successes and shortcomings of the past week. For me, self reflection empowers me and allows me to gain a sense of responsibility about my own life. It shapes my behavior. So clearly making time to evaluate who we are and where we are going is the path to take to move us forward.



This morning I refelected on how an event can forever change our life. This hit home yesterday as I was packing a very large order requiring special attention. As I pulled a sheet of packing paper from the roll dispenser, one end of the dispensing stand dislodged and the entire stand, including 20# of paper, went gliding off the counter. As my hands reached to catch it, the paper cutting blade sliced one of my fingers and a bloodbath ensued. The initial pain was excruciating and I wasn't able to determine the degree of the injury due to the bleeding.


The Paper Dispenser

Once I got the bleeding under control and had a look-see, I breathed a sigh of relief. The cut was deep, but if I could keep the wound closed, stitches may not be necessary. I was reminded how life can change in a split second. A serious injury, a terminal health diagnosis, the death of a loved one, a lost job, a failed business, or even something as joyful as winning the lottery can change our life forever. What if I had lost my finger by the paper cutting blade? Certainly that would have change my life and how I work.

The Cutting Blade

I can prepare, plan, forecast and make wise choices but still be caught off guard when that "one little event" changes everything. When it comes right down to it, I have very little control over much of what happens in my life. I can't control the outcome of certain events or those unforeseen events that will happen (like the dispensing roll slicing my finger). Bottom line: I can't control everything. As the Scripture says, "Be anxious for nothing". This Sunday's self-reflection brought this to the forefront. This week, I will try to be anxious for nothing. I hope you can, too.

PostScript: If you see a bandaged finger in one of my tutorial videos, you will know why.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Denise,
I am glad that you are ok! You are so correct. Life can take us where we didn't plan to go!
Dana