Monday, August 30, 2010

An Evolution of Self: Live Your Dreams

Soap Making: Live Your Dreams
This weekend I had “An Evolution of Self” moment. It’s one of those “ah-ha” moments when you step back and

1) Assess how you got to where you are today

2) Decide if you are happy with where you are

3) Make choices about future paths

Ever have one of those moments? It can be both enlightening and frightening, especially if you’re taking stock of how you have evolved in your business path or career field. I actually made a list of how I got to where I am today and realized what an amazing journey it has been. There have been highs and there have been some really, really bad lows. But, through it all, it’s been a ride that has taught me that anything is possible if you set your heart to follow your dreams.

Many years ago, I was a single mom wanting to earn an income for my family. Like many other single moms, I worked full time but tried to supplement my earning with additional work. I had always been the crafty type and decided that I would start a mail-order catalog business. Keep in mind this was way before computers, the Internet, and all the other electronic devices we have today. This was back in those “ancient” days when you advertised your catalogs in the back pages of Women’s Day or Good House Keeping magazines. I can remember cutting and pasting pictures and text from a typewriter (yep, a typewriter!) and then assembling each catalog by hand.

My catalog sold doll making supplies since it was during the rage of the Cabbage Patch dolls. Everyone wanted to make doll clothes or purchase supplies to make soft-sculptured dolls. I designed my own patterns for sculpting fabric dolls. My version was called the “Magic Magpins”. I made hundreds of these dolls and sold them at craft shows and through my catalog. I even wrote a story about the dolls and their magical powers and included the story with each doll sale. It was soooo much work. But, when I look back on it, it was fun! I loved what I was doing so it never seemed like work.

Let’s see…. from the mail order days, I went to gift baskets. From there it evolved into making my own bath products for the gift baskets. Then, there was a period where I made all-natural herbal products that included Lavender Dryer Bags which I sold to a “green” company; private label products... wedding favors… pre-made decorative loaf soaps… and the list goes on. While I was exploring all of these creative avenues, I continued to work full time at a major health care facility.

In the end, I finally left the health care field and ventured off into the soaping world. I’ve never looked back. It became a passion. Today, as the owner of GoPlanetEarth and a major soap mold manufacturing company, I am happy with my choices. In the early days, I never dreamed that the Internet could afford someone the opportunity to run a successful online company, nor did I dream that I would one day make my living in the soaping business. As for the future? One never knows. Success is about following your dreams, seeking out opportunities, and knowing that when one door closes another door will open.

I hope that you follow your dreams. Life is full of twists and turns. Trying to determine your path can be hard, but, if you follow your heart you may be surprised where you find yourself. The hard work and sacrifices you make can pay-off. If you are new to this soaping business and feeling frustrated and wondering if it’s worth the headaches, then think again. You won’t know until you try. If you need help or encouragement, just email. I’ll be happy to offer uplifting words to help you live your dreams!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow.. Great post as always!..